Re: CLDR errors that can't be corrected

From: Richard Wordingham (richard.wordingham@ntlworld.com)
Date: Wed May 17 2006 - 19:38:29 CDT

    Philippe Verdy wrote on Wednesday, May 17, 2006 at 11:33 PM

    > In fact there are many other errors that can't be corrected. For example,
    > the default French locale should not accept calendar entries that contain
    > non examplar characters or other characters normally not used in French,
    > for example:
    > * Islamic months with the back-apostrophe, which should be accepted only
    > in French variants that include this character, such as North-African
    > french, where French is used using an extended set with additional
    > characters for transcripting arabic words...

    It's hardly surprising that this sort of problem crops up. The locale data
    include a lot of words that are unfamiliar and debatable - as well as the
    familiar and debatable ones. (Unsurprisingly, I can't find my country of
    birth in the list of territories.) I went through a language pick-list at
    work the other day, and found about a dozen that were misspelt, including
    'Sudanese' for 'Sundanese' and 'Welch' for 'Welsh'. I'm reluctant to have
    the supplier paid to fix it, though I'm tempted to play the racism card.

    English has the same exemplar character issue with the 'turned comma' (but
    with inherited Islamic months), and also in the 'Tonga Paʻanga'.

    Richard.