Re: Unicode, SMS, PDA/cellphones

From: Radovan Garabik (garabik@melkor.dnp.fmph.uniba.sk)
Date: Fri Jun 02 2006 - 02:33:35 CDT

    On Fri, Jun 02, 2006 at 06:28:13AM +0200, Philippe Verdy wrote:
    > From: "Donald Z. Osborn" <dzo@bisharat.net>
    > > What concerns me in this area is not
    > > the evolution of language or the (sometimes annoying) "SMS language" as
    > > Philippe puts it, but that some cellphone companies may not find it worth their
    > > effort to
    > > provide support for a fuller range of character & language options based on
    > > misinterpretation of the ASCII workarounds that people have adopted (for
    > > reasons of display & keyboard). The tool fits the practice but also shapes it,
    > > and with better (and better standardized) support for extended and non-Latin
    > > characters, who's to say how people now and in the near future will
    > > make use of these capabilities?
    >
    > I don't think that telcos would not be interested in supporting and implementing a capability detection mechanism, notably if it helps them providing services that target their customers more exactly, using new features that will effectively be rendered correctly, but that will be easy for cutomers to use (without wondering always if their mobile phone is compatible with the service).

    I know someone who was working on MMS sending software for a mobile
    phone network. According to him, the software was so badly designed
    and patched together that it was a miracle that the whole system works :-)
    And they indeed keep a database of phones and convert some pictures
    according to information in the database (if the recepient phone is
    known not to work with a particular image format or size etc...)
    Maybe it was just a prototype, not the system in actual use, I do not
    know.

    | Radovan Garabík http://kassiopeia.juls.savba.sk/~garabik/ |
    | __..--^^^--..__    garabik @ kassiopeia.juls.savba.sk     |