Re: UTF-7 - is it dead?

From: Richard Wordingham (richard.wordingham@ntlworld.com)
Date: Fri Jun 02 2006 - 12:56:35 CDT

    <Kornkreismuster@web.de> wrote on Friday, June 02, 2006 at 8:23 AM

    > Is UTF-7 really still in use at all? Java for example has only the options
    > UTF-8 and 16.
    > And for UTF-7 I found several opinions that BASE64 and QuotePrintable is
    > still to be used instead.

    UTF-7 has its occasional uses. For example, it's one way of getting Unicode
    data a channel that claims it is ISO 8859-1 but is straightening
    Windows-1252 quotes. It's a bit of a hack, but it's the only way I know of
    safely inputting arbitrary text through the Yahoo groups web interface. Of
    course, it does then have the deficiency that you have to read it using a
    browser that supports UTF-7! Firefox supports it but IE 6.0 does not.

    Richard.