Re: Vietnamese (Re: Unicode, SMS, PDA/cellphones)

From: Doug Ewell (dewell@adelphia.net)
Date: Fri Jun 02 2006 - 22:31:09 CDT

    Mike Ayers <mayers at celequest dot com> wrote:

    >> Is there a good current summary of the current usage of Vietnamese in
    >> Unicode (and related issues such as whether and to what extent the
    >> old VIQR [VIetnamese Quoted-Readable] is still used)?
    >
    > VIQR is predominant for legacy reasons in person to person
    > communication, but published works seem to prefer Unicode to VISCII
    > these days. I have not, however, formally researched the matter.

    Most of the Vietnamese I know either use VIQR directly, or ignore the
    diacritics altogether (putting up with the attendant risk of
    miscommunication). One reason for the success of VIQR is that it's easy
    for humans to read it and figure out what's going on.

    There are still many fonts that don't support the Vietnamese precomposed
    characters (see below). VIQR is a fallback that always works.

    >> Is there any discussion of the old topic of precomposed characters
    >> for the various diacritical combinations used in writing Vietnamese.
    >
    > It is my understanding that such an idea has been categorically
    > rejected. Rendering systems generally handle multiple diacritics well
    > these days, so precomposed characters tend to be unnecessary.

    All precomposed letters necessary for Vietnamese are already encoded,
    and have been since Unicode 1.1.

    --
    Doug Ewell
    Fullerton, California, USA