Re: UTF-8 can be used for more than it is given credit

From: James Kass (jameskass@att.net)
Date: Tue Jun 06 2006 - 03:04:04 CDT

    Doug Ewell replied to Theodore H. Smith,

    > > 3) Each unique glyph, has one and only sequence of codepoints in NFD.
    >
    > I give up trying to explain why "glyph" is wrong in this context.
    > Others are welcome to try. Good luck.

    Please see John Hudson's post regarding terminology on another list to
    understand why Doug Ewell calls "glyph" an inappropriate choice here,
    specifically the end of the diacritic section:

    http://lists.kabissa.org/lists/archives/public/a12n-collaboration/msg00144.html

    Rather than (mis)using the term "glyph" in this context, it might be
    better to call it a "grapheme/typeform" or even spell it out as "letter
    or letter-with-mark combination".

    Best regards,

    James Kass