Re: Glyphs for German quotation marks

From: Philippe Verdy (verdy_p@wanadoo.fr)
Date: Wed Jun 07 2006 - 12:50:22 CDT

    Using Verdana, it works. Choose your option:
      a.. "Example"
      b.. "Example"
      c.. "Example"
      d.. "Example"
      e.. « Example »
      f.. »Example«
    And, exactly the same text with Times New Roman:
      a.. "Example"
      b.. "Example"
      c.. "Example"
      d.. "Example"
      e.. « Example »
      f.. »Example«
    What's wrong there? Nothing. It's standard Unicode, and the way Verdana renders these quotation marks are correct. So choose the characters according to the locale.

    Note that Unicode does not indicate the role of characters in every locale. The normative name for characters is not a normative use for all languages...

    We don't need ophtalmologists,and we don't need tweaked fonts specialized for particular locales that will mirror and change the position of type of glyph used.

    Unicode admits that different characters are used for quotation marks depending on languages. And that's why the CLDR contains resources for selecting the correct character to use for each locale.

    Philippe.