Ogonek vs. hook below (Re: Some questions about Latin diacritics)

From: Karl Pentzlin (karl-pentzlin@acssoft.de)
Date: Tue Jun 13 2006 - 03:53:32 CDT

    Am Dienstag, 13. Juni 2006 um 09:27 schrieb Michael Everson:

    ME> At 01:16 +0200 2006-06-13, Karl Pentzlin wrote:
    >>Looking at:
    >>http://www.uni-wuerzburg.de/germanistik/spr/suf/baydat-udi/pdf/Lautschrift.pdf
    ME> I looked at that document, and I don't think that
    ME> is a double ogonek, and I don't think the single
    ME> one is an ogonek either.

    In that document, the hook(s) in fact appear to be not connected to
    the base letter (see the attached enlarged "Zwei Haken.png"), thus
    being different from the ogonek proper.

    The hook below is common in German dialect writing system and is
    called "Haken" (hook) or "Häkchen" (little hook).
    Other instances show a connected form. See the attached scan
    "Haken.png" taken from:
    Wolfgang Lindow et al., Niederdeutsche Grammatik, Leer 1998, p.40
    where you see a more ogonek-like form.

    Another minor difference seems to be that the hook below is always
    positioned below the center of the base letter, where the ogonek proper
    is usually more positioned to the right at least beneath "A" and "a".

    In my personal opinion, the hook below is no more different from the
    ogonek than a Polish kreska from a French accent aigu, and therefore
    can be unified. Maybe I am wrong.

    - Karl Pentzlin

    Zwei_Haken.png
    Haken.png