Re: triple diacritic (sch with ligature tie in a German dialect writing document)

From: Kenneth Whistler (kenw@sybase.com)
Date: Tue Jun 13 2006 - 16:32:28 CDT

    Karl Pentzlin asked:

    > If I had to propose this for Unicode, I would propose a single "triple
    > diacritic" COMBINING TRIPLE BREVE BELOW, rather than precombined
    > lower-, title- and uppercase "sch with ligature tie" in rough analogy
    > to U+017A LATIN SMALL LETTER TH WITH STRIKETHROUGH.
    >
    > Would this be the way to go?

    In my opinion, no. Once spanning mechanisms go beyond two
    base characters, it is no longer useful to try to treat
    them as encoded characters, as it is increasingly unlikely
    that appropriate rendering mechanisms will be available for
    them.

    An arbitrary-length spanning undertie or overtie is in
    principle more related to other mechanisms of highlighting
    arbitrary segments of text, such as underscoring,
    overscoring, and the like. I think the representation of
    such in digital text should be handled by style and
    markup, rather than by seeking solutions in character
    encoding.

    --Ken