Re: Glyphs for German quotation marks

From: Andreas Prilop (nhtcapri@rrzn-user.uni-hannover.de)
Date: Thu Jun 15 2006 - 11:08:03 CDT

        [ I restrict myself to single quotation marks. ]
        [ Everything is the same for double quotation marks. ]

    On Wed, 14 Jun 2006, John Hudson wrote:

    > Directionality in wedge-shaped or 6/9 shaped quotation marks
    > designs is easy to determine because of the assymetric shape
    > of the forms. But the directionality of oblique monoline quotes
    > of the kind used in e.g. Tahoma and Verdana -- i.e. the fonts
    > to which some of our German colleagues are objecting --
    > is not so determined.

    Your whole argumentation has a rather restricted point of view.
    You argue inside a restricted 8-bit character set, which has only
    *two* high quotation marks. For example, alt+0145 and alt+0146
    in MS Windows.

    You argue only with two quotation marks: opening and closing.
    Your argument would be fine in a restricted 8-bit character set.

    Please note that Unicode has *three* high quotation marks:
    U+2018, U+2019, U+201B.

    If you want a  rotated apostrophe, use U+2018.
    If you want a mirrored apostrophe, use U+201B.

    Likewise, Unicode has lots of hyphens and dashes where ASCII
    had only 0x2D.