Re: Glyphs for German quotation marks

From: John Hudson (john@tiro.ca)
Date: Fri Jun 16 2006 - 15:24:52 CDT

    Andreas Prilop wrote:

    >>the character you've used (U+201B) isn't supported at all
    >>in the vast majority of fonts.

    > U+201B is indeed contained in Microsoft's WGL4.
    > So you should be able to see it in many fonts at
    > http://www.unics.uni-hannover.de/nhtcapri/temp/quotes.html

    That is not many fonts. That is a handful of fonts made for or by a single software company.

    Adam has access to the MyFonts database, so perhaps he can tell us what percentage of the
    tens of thousands of commercial fonts in that collection support U+201B. My guess is that
    it is less than 1%.

    John Hudson

    --
    Tiro Typeworks        www.tiro.com