Re: U+0345 COMBINING GREEK YPOGEGRAMMENI not usable in other scripts as "hook below"?

From: John Hudson (john@tiro.ca)
Date: Sat Jun 17 2006 - 15:03:55 CDT

    Richard Wordingham wrote:

    >> Well yes and no. Pretty much any Greek typography expert will probably
    >> tell you that the adscript is correct following the relevant uppercase
    >> Greek vowels in the polytonic system. One does sometimes see subscript
    >> iotas in this context, and they are understood by readers, but they
    >> are not correct according to the canons of quality Greek publishing.

    > Is this also the Greek view? (I presume there is such a thing as Greek
    > quality Greek publishing.) I got the impression from
    > http://www.tlg.uci.edu/~opoudjis/unicode/unicode_adscript.html that
    > subscript iotas on capitals were perfectly acceptable to Greeks.

    I've asked for some feedback on this from one of my Greek colleagues. As Nick's document
    notes, both adscript and subscript are found in Greece. I thought there was a preference
    for the former in quality publishing, but perhaps it is more a question of preferences in
    particular fields of publishing (always a challenge for font developers).

    John Hudson

    --
    Tiro Typeworks        www.tiro.com
    Vancouver, BC         john@tiro.ca