Re: Finnegans Wake, was Re: comment on L2/06-215

From: Michael Everson (everson@evertype.com)
Date: Sun Jun 25 2006 - 18:01:21 CDT

    At 15:39 -0700 2006-06-25, Richard Cook wrote:
    >On Jun 24, 2006, at 5:47 PM, Peter Constable wrote:
    >
    >>Regarding the name of the first of the three
    >>proposed letters, shouldn't that be TURNED E
    >>rather than INVERTED E?
    >I don't know, but, what I want to know is, how
    >much closer does this bring us to a Unicode
    >_Finnegans Wake_? That book has a few variously
    >rotated E's, the encoding status of which I've
    >been vaguely thinking about checking.
    >
    >http://www.trentu.ca/jjoyce/
    >
    >But maybe Unicode's resident Irishman already knows the answer?

    My interest in fictitious languages rests with Quenya and Sindarin.

    I'm in Marrakesh right now and can't check about
    Peter's query, but if it's a Uralicist letter
    based on the Landsmålsalfabetet, I have some
    concerns about the character names.

    At dinner I saw a little kitten, orange and
    skinny like any cat from a hot climate. When he
    sat in profile, he looked like an Egyptian
    hieroglyph.