Free unicode fonts (Re: [indic] Re: provisional named sequences)

From: N. Ganesan (naa.ganesan@gmail.com)
Date: Wed Jul 05 2006 - 06:53:54 CDT

    Paul Nelson wrote:
    >I hope Indian font designers provide the fonts that
    >take advantage of the support that is already available
    >through OpenType...in Windows, on
    >Linux (ICU and Indux), on Apple OS (through AAT).

    >Most of this is possible today if font makers create
    >the fonts. Already there are some nice OpenType fonts
    >for various Indic scripts.

    For Tamil, there are some nice Unicode truetype fonts,
    available for free download.
    http://www.ildc.in/GIST/htm/cd-ttf.htm

    To aid in the font choice, the style and shape of each
    of those unicode fonts is shown in the pdf file
    which can be downloaded from:
    http://groups.google.com/group/CTamil/msg/a1b4027b81ea6bc7

    Hope Apple allows opentype fonts also in Mac OS.
    The AAT technology is difficult, I'm told,
    and there is only one Tamil font (Muthu Nedumaran's Inaimathi)
    for Mac OS now.

    N. Ganesan