Re: New to Unicode

From: Doug Ewell (dewell@adelphia.net)
Date: Tue Jul 25 2006 - 02:50:10 CDT

    Philippe Verdy <verdy underscore p at wanadoo dot fr> wrote:

    >>> http://www.iana.org/assignments/language-subtag-registry
    >
    > Is it really stable? what is then the stability of the
    > "Suppress-Script:" data in this registry, given that many languages in
    > the registry have an evident single script but no script indication
    > (for example "br": Breton, actually written only in the Latin script,
    > except by a few geeks. Compare to "cy": Welsh, also written only with
    > Latin).

    The Suppress-Script information is known to be incomplete. Additional
    contributions of knowledge are always welcome.

    The basic requirement is that the script in question must be used
    "overwhelmingly" to write the language in question -- not necessarily
    100% of the time, but certainly 51% would not qualify.

    I strongly recommend that further discussion on this topic be moved to
    the ietf-languages list, which exists to discuss registration of such
    things: