Re: Draft 3 of the proposal to encode an EXTERNAL LINK SIGN in the BMP

From: Michael Everson (everson@evertype.com)
Date: Mon Aug 07 2006 - 03:22:06 CDT

    At 18:21 -0600 2006-08-06, Mark Davis wrote:
    >On a related issue, I think we may want to consider changing the
    >overall Unicode position on symbols somewhat. We've been rather
    >strict in the past, but where certain symbols are in widespread use
    >as text, it may make sense to add them to Unicode. This is not
    >saying that there is a clear-cut case for changing our position, but
    >it is something that we should discuss.

    I have been proposing symbols piece-meal for years. It would be
    pleasant if it were not as difficult as it has been. Many of the
    symbols we have encoded were put there not because of any particular
    utility, but because they were inherited from other character sets.
    There are gaps which could (and should) be filled.