Re: Draft 3 of the proposal to encode an EXTERNAL LINK SIGN in the BMP

From: Addison Phillips (addison@yahoo-inc.com)
Date: Thu Aug 10 2006 - 19:17:34 CDT

    Doug pointed out:

    > Sure. It's all over the place. But is it a character?

    I think it should be pointed out that most of the extant "dingbatty
    junk" in Unicode is there strictly for compatibility reasons and not
    because the UTC felt a particular need for a HOT BEVERAGE and suchlike.

    The usual arguments for including more logo-like stuff into Unicode is
    ease of input or association with running text. I think non-textual
    items really should stay in the realm of markup and graphics, rather
    than overburdening character encodings.

    There are plenty of actual characters to encode; mere dingbats should be
    scrutinized very carefully.

    Addison

    --
    Addison Phillips