Re: Reality check - non-Unicode in Guinea-GTZ documents 2005

From: Doug Ewell (dewell@adelphia.net)
Date: Sat Aug 19 2006 - 13:29:16 CDT

    Richard Gillam <rgillam at us dot ibm dot com> wrote:

    > I'm curious-- as I'm sure you know, there are three books about
    > Unicode out there already: Tony Graham's book, Jukka Korpela's book,
    > and my book. None of them, of course, are part of the "Dummies"
    > series, but I'm wondering whether you think any of them would serve
    > well as an introduction to Unicode along the lines of the "Dummies"
    > books, and if not, why not.

    As you may know, I referenced your book when writing Unicode Technical
    Note #14. I enjoyed the style thoroughly and thought it was very well
    written, but I am a techie type and don't know how well the book would
    reach non-techie types. I should probably take another look. There are
    some outstanding technical books that start with "this is a pencil, this
    is a piece of paper" in Chapter 1, then proceeed gradually to great
    detail by Chapter 20, serving a wide variety of audiences.

    > I haven't read Tony and Jukka's books,

    Neither have I.

    > Even if none of the current titles really hit the bullseye, is the
    > market big enough for yet another Unicode book? I know mine hasn't
    > exactly flown off the shelves.

    Good question. I don't know. As Mark said, it depends on who the
    envisioned target audience is and what they need to know. There is no
    significant booksellers' market for a 24-page pamphlet, but it seems to
    me that would be about right.

    --
    Doug Ewell
    Fullerton, California, USA