Re: kurdish sorani

From: Behnam (behnam.rassi@gmail.com)
Date: Wed Aug 30 2006 - 17:32:51 CDT

    I want to see the implication of what you are suggesting in actual
    typing. And also the level of control the user has over the shaping
    of 'initial', 'medial', and 'final' forms.

    Right now, I don't miss anything in my slightly customized Persian
    keyboard. I have 'Heh' on the front and it does produce the
    contextual shaping that I desire (standard U+0647 with oval isolated
    form) and occasionally, if I desire to use medial Heh Goal, (U+06C1)
    I hit the same Heh key with shift modifier. The only thing I'm
    missing is 'letter heh abbreviated' (which is wrongly presented as
    letter heh in Unicode) if Unicode provided me with a code for this
    shape (which is a non joining character and not U+06BE) I wouldn't
    have had anything missing.
    I guess in most languages the keyboard can be configured in a way to
    produce the intended character with the least amount of effort. (as I
    suppose that's what Kurdish users are actually doing right now) What
    is really needed is codes which allow us to avoid ZWJ.
    The problem is, that I'm not Unicode compliant! I'm not supposed to
    use Heh goal, although I wrote my name with it since I was 3! I'm
    supposed to type it with U+0647 and hope for a font maker to put
    medial heh goal for that code in contextual shaping. And then, if I
    find a font like that, then I should forget about having a regular
    medial heh in the next word I'm typing!

    The three general behaviors of Arabic script characters, non joiner,
    right joiner and double joiner made Arabic typing possible. The user
    doesn't have to hit a command key after each letter to tell it how to
    behave. My only problem with current situation is lack of heh do
    chashme non joiner (abbreviated form), and restrictive language
    definitions of codes.

    Behnam