Re: ZWJ&XML

From: Mark Davis (mark.davis@icu-project.org)
Date: Wed Sep 13 2006 - 10:53:06 CDT

    As I recall, the problem with XML 1.1 adoption was that XML 1.1 was
    not fully backwards compatible with XML 1.0: there were XML 1.0
    documents that were not valid XML 1.1. That being the case, people
    just didn't see it worthwhile to have two incompatible parsers.

    As for ZWJ/NJ - the original intent was for these to not make any
    semantic difference. There is a UTC action to collect cases where they
    are being used to make a clear semantic difference (eg XXX means "sea
    gull" and XX<ZWNJ>X means "republican"), so any feedback on such cases
    would be useful.

    Mark