Re: Unicode & space in programming & l10n

From: Mark Davis (mark.davis@icu-project.org)
Date: Sun Sep 17 2006 - 20:42:23 CDT

    Frankly, I think the reason why SCSU and BOCU never got a lot of traction is
    related to #1 on my list. That is, in the vast majority of cases UTF-16 or
    UTF-8 have storage characteristics that are good enough -- it's just not
    really worth taking extra steps to squeeze out more. The only small-string
    compression scheme to gain fairly wide acceptance, for different reasons, is
    PunyCode. (All three of them are roughly comparable in compression ratio
    over the samples I gave, although they have different other
    characteristics.) Of course, ZIP and related compressions do a pretty good
    job on any of these languages encoding in Unicode, so they can be applied to
    reduce sizes for any and all of them, in appropriate circumstances.

    Mark