Re: FW: Technology leads to cool fonts in Native language

From: Philippe Verdy (verdy_p@wanadoo.fr)
Date: Mon Sep 18 2006 - 13:38:42 CDT

    > • The Kutenai in Canada already use a QWERTY based layout for their
    > language.

    Note however that the layout shown is on screen only; for screen interfaces, with the way we read text, it's probably better to keep the alphabetic order as we can focus only on one point (not like with the fingers of your hands). It won't change many things for typists.

    This demo looks like an attempt to make sure the layout is complete enough, and that combinations of keystrokes are appropriate and avoided as much as possible for the actual language; then, placing letters on an actual keyboard will need further discussions, given the restrictions on placement, as there's no evident way to place all letters with diacritics near base letters, if we keep the base letters placed on the same places as an American English/French layout.