Re: Unicode & space in programming & l10n

From: Doug Ewell (dewell@adelphia.net)
Date: Wed Sep 20 2006 - 07:56:05 CDT

    Philippe Verdy <verdy underscore p at wanadoo dot fr> wrote:

    > Still today, most applications are written with languages that don't
    > have native support for the Unicode character model (C/C++ included,
    > but also many popular script languages like PHP); if we want to have
    > things changed, we would need to promote other languages, but the main
    > issue there is in training programmers for these languages; C/C++ is
    > still too much popular, even though Java has gained a strong influence
    > in lots of domains (notably in enterprise applications), along with
    > C#/.Net just following that move.

    I don't know who "we" is supposed to be here. The Unicode Consortium
    doesn't "promote" programming languages. It may note that some
    languages or implementations have better support for Unicode than
    others; the page on "Unicode Enabled Products" sort of does this. (That
    page includes a C++ library, BTW.)

    > Isn't it time to start deprecating C/C++ (keeping it with the assembly
    > languages, only for some critical things like device drivers at kernel
    > level, or fast performance maths libraries and multimedia codecs) in
    > favor of higher-level programming languages (that have native support
    > for the Unicode character model) ?

    (laughs) Programming languages don't get "deprecated" like last month's
    fashions.

    --
    Doug Ewell
    Fullerton, California, USA