non-IPA primary/secondary stress marks?

From: Steve Summit (scs@eskimo.com)
Date: Tue Sep 26 2006 - 06:23:59 CST

    I know that the IPA characters for indicating primary and
    secondary stress in punctuations are U+02C8 Modifier Letter
    Vertical Line and U+02CC Modifier Letter Low Vertical Line,
    respectively. But some U.S dictionaries (for example, the
    American Heritage) represent primary and secondary stress using
    heavy and light prime marks. It only just now occurred to me
    that there's no well-defined way to represent those in "pure"
    Unicode, i.e. without resorting to some sort of higher-level
    typographic markup to specify the glyphs. Or am I missing
    something? (I can "cheat" and approximate the right effect by
    using, say, U+02BC Modifier Letter Apostrophe and U+02B9 Modifier
    Letter Prime, which look about right, at least on the machine I'm
    using, but of course that's, well, cheating.)