Re: Double Aleph Mark

From: Richard Wordingham (richard.wordingham@ntlworld.com)
Date: Wed Sep 27 2006 - 16:04:43 CST

    Vincent Setterholm wrote on Wednesday, September 27, 2006 7:47 PM

    > When transliterating Egyptian, there is a fairly common symbol that looks
    > like two aleph transliteration marks (U+02BE) stacked on top of each
    > other. I believe this is the same letter that is often transliterated
    > using a glyph that looks similar to a numeral 3, but it is not
    > phonetically an Ezh (U+01B7 or U+0292). Has there been any official
    > discussion of this symbol? Has it been decided to use the Ezh, or has no
    > one proposed a double aleph before?

    Are you asking about the prospective U+A722/3 LATIN CAPITAL/SMALL LETTER
    EGYPTOLOGICAL ALEF? The glyphs are shown in
    http://std.dkuug.dk/jtc1/sc2/wg2/docs/n3078.pdf . There is a widespread
    belief that they will be in Unicode 5.1.

    Richard.