Re: ISO/IEC 10646 and ISO/IEC 14651 freely available

From: Philippe Verdy (verdy_p@wanadoo.fr)
Date: Thu Sep 28 2006 - 05:16:32 CST

    From: "Eric Muller" <emuller@adobe.com>
    > Jukka K. Korpela wrote:
    >> - most standards there are not very exciting.
    > While not exciting, ISO/IEC 5218:2004 is certainly an interesting reading.

    Beside the formalism, which looks more like a sample for future standard tables of standard codes, it is not so much interesting. 17 pages for a table of 4 distinct values coded on 1 digit! I just wonder what this standard can be really used for, and how even the standard is internationaly applicable for transgender people or foetus and yound children with ambiguous/mixed sexualdevelopment, due to various legislations.

    Well it may just be exciting to speak about sex in a ISO/TC1 meeting! For Unicode however, the discussions about a few Bliss symbols samples (still not encoded) may have some interest.