Re: ISO/IEC 10646 and ISO/IEC 14651 freely available

From: Jon Hanna (jon@hackcraft.net)
Date: Fri Sep 29 2006 - 09:06:39 CST

    Hans Aberg wrote:
    > The stuff in the Unicode character set seems mainly concerned with
    > sexual preference,

    More so orientation than preference.

    I can't think of many symbols for what one actually prefers to do
    sexually, rather than who one does it with, though perhaps I just need
    to get out more.

    The 3-legged metalic symbol that looks like a cross between a triskelion
    and a yin-yang symbol used by the BDSM community is the only one that
    comes to mind. Given that colour is deemed important to the symbol's
    appearance - it is specified as being of metalic colouring - it does not
    seem to be suitable for encoding in the UCS. It does not appear to be
    used inline with text which would also weigh against encoding. I'd say
    it's more an emblem than a symbol; more comparable to the purple lamda
    than to U+26A2 in usage.

    While more a relationship-model preference than a sexual preference,
    there are various combinations of differing numbers of U+2640 and U+2642
    that have been used to represent polyamourous relationships. Doesn't
    seem to be standardised to any degree and again not used inline.

    Other symbols being developped would require a well-defined community
    based around the preference in question, which contained some sort of
    community activist effort to establish any such symbol. I wouldn't be
    surprised to hear of such symbols, but the smaller the community and the
    less political activism from them, the lesser the chance such a symbol
    would be adapted and the greater the chance it would just die out.

    whereas I indicated the problem of medically
    > defining physical maleness/femaleness.

    That's a problem, or rather a whole bunch of problems, for doctors,
    social workers, legislators, judicial systems, medical scientists,
    biologists, political and social activists, and those for whom the more
    naive binary question does not have a fully satisfactory answer. I doubt
    character encodings have much help to provide.