Re: ISO/IEC 10646 and ISO/IEC 14651 freely available

From: Jefsey_Morfin (jefsey@jefsey.com)
Date: Fri Sep 29 2006 - 19:18:16 CST

    At 18:56 29/09/2006, Hans Aberg wrote:

    >On 29 Sep 2006, at 15:09, Jefsey_Morfin wrote:
    >>we are in the language area, not in biology. So the real issue is how
    >>the person see him/her/etcself ...
    >
    >I guess, that is the reason I bring it up, because there is a
    >widespread, but faulty, view that mankind is divided into two
    >physical sexes, and nothing else, and then standards come hardwired
    >with that view.
    >
    >>... and how the language supports that
    >>vision.
    >
    >This I do not see the point of. Unicode merely introduces a character
    >set.

    The character set is ISO 10646. Unicode provides additional files and
    projects. The leading one is the CLDR. This project is where all the
    peculiarities you discuss should be documented.

    >>Ages are also important in languages, so are trades and
    >>contexts. In our computer assisted/man-machine relation, the genders
    >>"computer" and "agent" should be available. So we would often need
    >>singular, plural, networked.
    >>jfc
    >
    >I do not see what this has to to with characters for human physical
    >sexes.

    Unicode's globalization doctrine (internationalization of the
    environment + localization of the edges) is stabilised by BCP 47 and
    RFC 4646 by Mark Davis and Addison Phillips; They provides a
    consistent language tagging [language, characters, region] for the
    environment (pages and protocols), localization (CLDR files), and
    language applications.

    jfc