Re: The English Phonotypic Alphabet

From: vlad (emperor.vlad@gmail.com)
Date: Sat Sep 30 2006 - 16:52:21 CST

    On 30/09/06, David Starner <prosfilaes@gmail.com> wrote:

    > http://books.google.com/books?id=gV0KAAAAIAAJ&pg=PA2ws Alexander
    > John Ellis's English Phonotypic Alphabet. It's been used a couple
    > other books, though I don't know if it was ever used by any other
    > author. Has anyone looked at encoding it?

    I've seen a very similar system, with a few additions, used to transcribe
    Yahgan (a language of Tierra del Fuego). If you've got JSTOR access, you can
    see for yourself:

    T. Bridges (1894) A Few Notes on the Structure of Yahgan. The Journal of the
    Anthropological Institute of Great Britain and Ireland, Vol. 23.