Re: Unicode & space in programming & l10n

From: Philippe Verdy (verdy_p@wanadoo.fr)
Date: Tue Oct 03 2006 - 09:55:02 CST

    From: "Hans Aberg" <haberg@math.su.se>
    > But another thing about compressions formats, is the need for them.
    > Looking at the MP3 and AAC compressions, they have played a big role
    > because there has been limited computer space available, but these
    > formats become less important now, when there is more space
    > available.

    Huh? i would say that the codec technologies are becomng more and more important as we move to a convergence world where what is important is not the storage but the transmission of information (between devices, through networks, ... simply because what is limitating is still the bandwith as we want to transmit more different programs or information).

    Codecs in the MPEG family become more and more universal and they are the key for mobility!

    Without them, we would not have now numeric radios, and TV broadcasts. Note also that almost all programs are produced using codecs. Their differences are in the level of rendered quality (and also in their capacity to support protection).