Re: Should names for sexes be included into CLDR?

From: Richard Wordingham (richard.wordingham@ntlworld.com)
Date: Tue Oct 03 2006 - 18:29:55 CST

    Jukka K. Korpela wrote on Tuesday, October 03, 2006 11:25 AM

    > So before opening such cans of worms, maybe the basic data should be
    > defined. I think there are apparent candidates for the values in the
    > default (root) locale for values 1 and 2, namely MALE SIGN and FEMALE
    > SIGN, and 0 might reasonably be QUESTION MARK, and perhaps 9 is best
    > rendered as EN DASH by default.

    I think 'M' and 'F' might actually be more comprehensible default values
    than the signs, however well you and I may understand the male and female
    signs. It's probably safer though to spell them out, so that if the
    defaults do escape into actual use it is fairly clear that they are English
    language escapes.

    Richard.