Re: Cyrillic KU (Q)

From: James Kass (thunder-bird@earthlink.net)
Date: Mon Oct 30 2006 - 11:30:11 CST

    Michael Everson wrote,

    >This orthography for Abkhaz has lots of letters that are not yet
    >encoded. It reads:

    The original thread dates from 2003/10/23, subject: "Abkhaz letters".
    There were several posts in the thread along with a few additional links.

    (I can send you what is here in my archives off-list, if you like.)

    A few days ago, Alexej Kryukov <akrioukov at newmail dot ru> posted
    this link which purports to show the complete alphabet for this orthography:
    http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/d/d3/Abhaz_alphabet_chochua.JPG
    (This graphic shows only lower case.)

    As you can see, there are indeed several letters which aren't yet representable
    in Unicode. Note the two different characters (akin to U+0495 CYRILLIC ... GHE
    WITH MIDDLE HOOK) differing in the length of the descenders, for example.

    As Anto'nio Martins-Tuva'lkin had originally asked these questions, I wonder
    if he is still on our list, as he has not yet contributed to this new thread.

    (Also, I wonder if the graphic linked above represents the actual collation
    order. It seems odd to see U+0432 (CYRILLIC SMALL LETTER VE) tacked
    onto the end...)

    Best regards,

    James Kass