RE: YahooMail Encoding Problems-1(UTF-8 to TrISO)

From: Don Osborn (dzo@bisharat.net)
Date: Tue Dec 12 2006 - 23:36:40 CST

    Omi, Luke, all, I personally find it interesting to hear about implementation issues. In part I thought that this list does treat the "State of Unicode," though I would also agree that an in-depth discussion of one application might best go elsewhere.

    The issue that Omi brings up with Yahoo may be specific to its system, but may also be indicative of issues that it (and others) are dealing with that are of more general interest.

    Since this mail is specifically mentioning Yahoo, I would mention that I just recently encountered an old problem with French similar to what Omi is mentioning. Mail outgoing in UTF-8 to a Yahoo.fr address and read on the recipient's browser (in Cameroon) in another encoding, meaning totally garbled symbols for accented characters. Probably they could have changed the browser settings, but this still happens a fair amount and a lot of users probably don't understand changing the encoding they are viewing in. So where really is the problem and where the solution(s)?

    Don