RE: Linguistics and Unicode

From: Don Osborn (dzo@bisharat.net)
Date: Wed Dec 20 2006 - 09:05:11 CST

    Luke, IMO there are a few issues involved here. Mike Maxwell's comments are
    also relevant (I append those for reference since this seems to begin a new
    thread).

    First, was the main reason your friend stuck with the old product
    convenience or a perceived problem with Unicode? If the former, I have
    encountered similar attitudes. And I don't see that as a problem so long as
    they are not encouraging other colleagues and students who don't know better
    to use the same solution. On the whole Mike is probably correct that this is
    ever less a problem in academia. WRT the field and locations outside of
    relatively technology-privileged (and Anglophone) environments, see below.

    Second, if they perceive a problem with Unicode and don't air it, that
    penalizes everyone - if a misunderstanding it is not cleared up; if a real
    problem it is not addressed. Non-conflict is not assent. I'm aware for
    instance of a continued current of concern re dynamic composition among some
    Francophone researchers who have a lot of field experience, but haven't had
    time to dialogue with them to better understand better their POV.

    Third, the issue of "not knowing" about Unicode (which we may extend to
    include having heard about it but not much more) is of concern on another
    level. I have just learned of an effort in Togo to create a font for Ewé and
    other languages of the country. Still seeking info on that, but if indeed
    this is a new 8-bit font, it is part of a larger problem relating to missing
    entirely the existence and point of Unicode (to create such a font, one
    would probably be working on a computer system with one or another "Unicode
    font" already installed that includes the characters one seeks to use).

    In the longer run, Unicode, by force of logic and decisions of industry,
    will continue to expand in use. But is that sufficient? Are the cases
    indicated above just isolated anomalies or do they indicate a need for more
    proactive international PR and extension (which involves listening & taking
    account of local issues as well as giving info & training) by Unicode? If
    the latter, then what approach - a "diva"? or someone to strategize and
    organize "roadshows"? or? (Money, of course is needed, but let's talk of the
    ideal approaches - beginning with whether they are indeed needed.)

    Don Osborn
    Bisharat.net
    PanAfrican Localisation project