Re: Subj: MySQl and Unicode support

From: Henrik Theiling (theiling@absint.com)
Date: Thu Feb 22 2007 - 09:03:24 CST

    Hi!

    Philippe Verdy writes:
    > Note that sorting (SELECT... ORDER BY...) may be an issue if you expect the
    > results from the database to be in the appropriate order; ...

    Erm, MySQL has quite good support for sorting UTF-8 strings in results
    of SELECT queries. I'm using that without problems. E.g. you can
    assign a charset and a collation to each string in a record and
    override that in the queries. It also supports conversions between
    charsets (storing in UTF-8, displaying on a Latin-1 terminal (if
    possible), etc.). I'd call that Unicode aware -- it goes much beyond
    transparently storing 8-bit strings.

    http://dev.mysql.com/doc/refman/5.1/en/charset-mysql.html

    IIRC, however, MySQL currently only supports code positions up to
    U+FFFF, i.e., only 16 bits which I personally find a bit annoying.
    Let's hope they'll fix that in future versions.

    **Henrik