Re: Characters consisting of vertical lines; Possible attempts to encode tally marks

From: Andrew West (andrewcwest@gmail.com)
Date: Thu Mar 01 2007 - 04:41:42 CST

    Guy Steele wrote on Wednesday, February 28, 2007 7:53 PM

    > While you all are at it, you may want to investigate the other
    > two systems of tally marks described in the Wikipedia article
    > on tally marks:

    The tally method of writing the strokes of the five-stroke character 正
    zheng (U+6B63) is very widely used in China and Japan, but I don't
    really see any necessity to encode a series of characters:

    ZHENG STROKE 1
    ZHENG STROKES 1 AND 2
    ZHENG STROKES 1 2 AND 3
    ZHENG STROKES 1 2 3 AND 4

    But how about encoding an ENEMY KILL TALLY MARK:

    <http://ww2-aviation.net/polavhist/aces.html>
    <http://home.pacbell.net/mkirwan/Fighter%20Ace.jpg>

    Andrew