RE: Characters consisting of vertical lines; Possible attempts to encode tally marks

From: Kenneth Whistler (kenw@sybase.com)
Date: Thu Mar 01 2007 - 13:21:00 CST

    Philippe said, in response to Andrew:

    > > But how about encoding an ENEMY KILL TALLY MARK:

    > Really not needed. In fact you could count anything this way, and you could
    > use any symbol for such tally...

    > I would much better like then to have cows or sheeps to count! Do we need to
    > encode a cow or a sheep?

    U+10086 LINEAR B IDEOGRAM B106F EWE

    should be handy for when you need to tally sheep.

    > And if so, why would we given it some numerical
    > property? Every object has an implicit count of 1, and can be used for tally
    > counts.

    I agree. One sheep is one sheep. And if I want to tally two of
    them, I can just use another sheep.

    > So for counting cows, we have the character "A" or any one of its ancestors.

    Or:

    U+1008C LINEAR B IDEOGRAM B109F COW

    or perhaps you would prefer to use:

    U+1211E CUNEIFORM SIGN GUD (= 'cow')

    or:

    U+725B CJK UNIFIED IDEOGRAPH-725B (= 'cow')

    --Ken (son of Kine)