Re: Unihan/CJK Radical bone character slightly mirrored?

From: John H. Jenkins (jenkins@apple.com)
Date: Mon Mar 12 2007 - 10:23:43 CST

    On Mar 11, 2007, at 8:01 AM, Jeroen Ruigrok van der Werven wrote:

    > All the references I have show the bone radical printed with the
    > corner
    > squared off on the right. I cannot find any references for the kanji
    > with the
    > left corner squared off.

    Traditionally, and outside of mainland China today, the "bone" radical
    is drawn with the bottom right corner squared off. The PRC switched
    to having the bottom left corner squared off largely, as I understand
    it, because it can be drawn that way with one stroke less.

    The IRG and Unicode have always seen the two forms as glyphic
    variants, not to be separately encoded. It does mean, however, that a
    font designer needs to be aware of the difference and target their
    fonts for the appropriate market.

    ========
    John H. Jenkins
    jenkins@apple.com