Re: Arabic numbers

From: Behnam (behnam.rassi@gmail.com)
Date: Wed Mar 14 2007 - 17:00:13 CST

    I'm afraid I don't have all the answers but few clarifications.
    What you call 'Arabic Numbers' (as opposed to Roman numeral) refers
    to 10 digits numeral system which was invented in Arab civilization.
    Until modern time, it was never displayed as 123...
    In Arabic language it is displayed as you typed it and it is not
    indic. Indic numeral have different shape for some numbers as ٤ ٥ ٦
    which are shaped as ۴ ۵ ۶
    As far as I know, those who use these numbers call 1234..., numbers
    in English!
    But they are used in some regions (English numbers)
    The reaction to forcing kids to use English numbers may vary from
    tolerated to outrage!
    Behnam