Re: Comment on PRI 98: IVD Adobe-Japan1 (pt.2)

From: vunzndi@vfemail.net
Date: Thu Mar 22 2007 - 09:54:33 CST

    It makes some sense to me in so far as it does not duplicate any
    existing VS, not however if it sets a precedence for future
    collections. That is why I suggested the non-duplicate VS for any one
    code point, but rather the same VS to be allowed to be named in
    different collections.

    Quoting Andrew West <andrewcwest@gmail.com>:

    > On 21/03/07, vunzndi@vfemail.net <vunzndi@vfemail.net> wrote:
    >>
    >> In IVD Adobe-Japan1 many codepoints with just one glyph are included,
    >> which since adobe is the first to registar a collection makes sense to
    >> me.
    >
    > I'm not at all convinced it makes any sense to define 12,040 variation
    > sequences for characters that do not have any glyph variants (i.e.
    > 12,040 variation sequences where the glyph defined by <U+XXXX,
    > U+E0100> is the same or almost the same as the representative glyph
    > for U+XXXX, and there are no other variation sequences defined for
    > U+XXXX).
    >
    > The reasons given for this bloat of variation sequences are:
    >
    > 1) For the convenience of Adobe -- so that all Adobe Kanji can be
    > "uniquely and explicitly identified without referencing their default
    > (IVS-less) encoding" (why? -- maybe it would be better to encode a NO
    > VARIANT character that could be applied to any character without need
    > for registration or a defined variation sequence)
    >
    > 2) For the sake of forward compatibility -- "because kanji may be
    > added in future Adobe-Japan1 Supplements that may be variants of such
    > kanji" (we could cross that bridge when we come to it)
    >
    > I'm not convinced that either or both of these reasons necessitate the
    > encoding of 12,040 redundant variation sequences. It may be convenient
    > for Adobe, but I strongly doubt that it will be in Unicode's best
    > interests.
    >
    > Andrew

    This message sent through Virus Free Email
    http://www.vfemail.net