Arabic and Adobe Flash

From: James Tu (jtu@esidesign.com)
Date: Mon Mar 26 2007 - 12:52:43 CST

    We have an approach to deal with a list of 100 phrases in Arabic
    using Adobe/Macromedia Flash. When you copy and paste a phrase of
    Arabic into a Flash textbox, Flash reverses it! (Flash does not
    handle RTL languages well)

    So, we thought that we could first reverse the characters outside of
    Flash and then copy and paste the reversed phrases into Flash.
    Problem solved right?

    We'll, when someone that can read Arabic read the phrases, they told
    us that the characters looked funny. In essence, the characters
    weren't connecting to each other correctly! It's as if you took a
    cursive font and laid out the characters and the cursive writing was
    not continuous.

    Does Arabic fonts have different versions of a character depending on
    it's neighboring characters?
    Is there a way for me to map my reversed phrases to the appropriate
    characters so that when Flash reverses them everything will look ok?

    Help!
    -James