Re: Missing character: Combining Up Tack Above

From: Kenneth Whistler (kenw@sybase.com)
Date: Thu Mar 29 2007 - 14:19:02 CST

    > Working on a project at Distributed Proofreaders
    > (<http://www.pgdp.net>) for Project Gutenberg
    > (<http://www.gutenberg.org>), I think I've found an unencoded
    > character used in two books from Ginn & Company as part of a
    > pronunciation scheme. It's a combining up tack above used to modify
    > vowels. Rather than try and send the pages through the list, I've put
    > up a Q&D webpage:
    > <http://prosfilaes.googlepages.com/combiningtackabove>. Am I missing
    > this character somewhere in Unicode?

    I don't think you've missed this character anywhere -- I don't think
    it is encoded in Unicode.

    But I disagree with your interpretation of it.

    It is pretty clear that in conceptual origin this is a diacritic-modified
    macron. It is used in this obsolete (and discredited) dictionary
    pronunciation system to indicate "the long sound of that vowel
    shortened...", in a system where vowel letters are marked for
    their "long sound" with macrons.

    The one citation in isolation in the 2nd document example,
    which looks like U+2AE0 SHORT UP TACK (rather than
    U+22A5 UP TACK) doesn't demonstrate a conceptual origin with
    either of those math symbols, IMO.

    So, no, this is not U+031D COMBINING UP TACK BELOW -- only
    rendered above a letter. It is, instead, a COMBINING MACRON WITH
    VERTICAL TICK or some such.

    If you look at the actual instances of the usage of this with
    letters, you can see that the atrocious and inconsistent
    details on the letters. Quite likely the printer for these
    created the matrices for the letters by actually overstriking
    existing matrices with punches for apostrophes -- you can see
    the different degrees of overlaps and inconsistencies among
    the various instances of the marked letters.

    --Ken