Re: Telugu Unicode in Win 98 / Me

From: Andreas Prilop (AndreasPrilop2007@trashmail.net)
Date: Tue Apr 10 2007 - 09:20:44 CST

    On Fri, 6 Apr 2007, Jukka K. Korpela wrote:

    > Common Web browsers on Windows 98 or ME can handle Unicode
    > encoded (UTF-8) pages fine. However, the fonts in use may - on any system -
    > lack some of the characters you need. Old Windows systems were often
    > shipped with limited fonts installed, so users had to install additional
    > fonts (from the Windows CD or elsewhere) to see text in "exotic" languages
    > ("exotic" relative to the environment where the computer was sold).

    For Indic scripts (like for Arabic, Hebrew, Thai) there's more than
    just characters (or glyphs) in fonts. It may not be sufficient to have
    a font with all Arabic letters - the correct glyph needs to be chosen
    and the display must be from right to left.

    I don't know about Telugu but the OP might check with
    http://www.unics.uni-hannover.de/nhtcapri/multilingual1.html#nagari
    http://www.unics.uni-hannover.de/nhtcapri/sanskrit-alphabet.html
    whether any Devanagari font works in Windows 98/ME. If even
    Devanagri fails, there's little hope for Telugu. Crucial issues
    are the placement of vowel signs and conjuncts (ligatures).

    > I just tested your site on an old Windows 98 system, using IE 6,
    > and I don't see any character-related problems there.

    I know you don't like Wikipedia but they have a small test
    for Indic scripts (including Telugu):
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wikipedia:Enabling_complex_text_support_for_Indic_scripts
    There is also a note on Windows 98 here.

    --
    In memoriam Alan J. Flavell
    http://groups.google.com/groups/search?q=author:Alan.J.Flavell