Re: Uppercase ß is coming? (U+1E9E)

From: John Hudson (john@tiro.ca)
Date: Fri May 04 2007 - 12:42:49 CST

    Michael Everson wrote:

    >> Yes, it's irresponsible and harmful, misrepresenting an ordinary ß in
    >> various contexts of capital letters as a fictitious "capital ß".

    > As a type designer I maintain, with the proposers, that the design of
    > the capital in those examples is in fact different from "an ordinary ß".

    And as another type designer, I agree that the design of the capital eszett is different
    from an ordinary ß.

    But I still don't think it is anything other than a glyph variant of SS.

    To me the issue is how best to distinguish a desire for this glyph variant from SS when
    used as a double-s instead of sharp-s, and Unicode already provides a mechanism for that
    purpose: ZWJ

    John Hudson

    --
    Tiro Typeworks        www.tiro.com