Re: Uppercase ß is coming? (U+1E9E)

From: Marnen Laibow-Koser (marnen@marnen.org)
Date: Fri May 04 2007 - 13:15:47 CST

    On May 4, 2007, at 2:53 PM, John Hudson wrote:
    > Marnen Laibow-Koser wrote:
    >
    >> No argument there. There *shouldn't* be such a thing as capital
    >> ß. But Unicode is descriptive and not prescriptive. Obviously,
    >> people are using this misbegotten character, so it needs to have a
    >> code point.
    >
    > Or are they using this misbegotten glyph variant, in which case it
    > needs to have appropriate glyph level activation?
    >
    > It seems to me to be begging the question to assume that it is a
    > character.

    It is a character, I think. To assume that it is an uppercase SS
    ligature is to assume that an uppercase long S exists -- and we have
    absolutely *no* evidence for that at all. So I think it's begging
    the question to assume that it is a ligature. Uppercase ß is
    attested, if grudgingly so. Uppercase long s is not attested at all!

    > John Hudson

    Best,

    --
    Marnen Laibow-Koser