Re: Uppercase ß is coming? (U+1E9E)

From: Christopher Fynn (cfynn@gmx.net)
Date: Fri May 04 2007 - 13:40:20 CST

    Andrew West wrote:

    > Have you read the proposal ? The character is being proposed in order
    > to represent examples of usage in existing texts -- whether you like
    > it or not some people have used an uppercase form of the letter, and
    > there is a need to represent texts which use this uppercase form.

    Someone might make a similar argument for small caps (for several scripts)
    - which have plenty of "usage in existing texts" and, in good fonts,
    are not identical to "scaled down" capital letters.

    This looks to me to be little different from a "large lower case"
    letter ß. Granted it is not be identical to a scaled up ß, but
    is the difference any more significant than than that between
    true upper case letters and small caps? (The fact that some of the
    samples in the proposal have a descender "tail" as opposed to
    an ascender on the lower case form seems to be a matter of style
    to make it look more harmonious with upper case letters.)

    There may be a need to represent this, but several other ways
    this could be done have already been suggested. I guess the
    question is, is there any real need to represent this as a
    separate character in _plain_ text?

    The arguments for "special tasks like branding, shop-signing" carry
    little weight since those applications are essentially rich text, or
    even parts of logos.

    The case for book titles and personal names is more
    relevant, since one there may be database applications where
    personal names or book titles are all in upper case. Names on
    ID cards, name tags or mailing labels are sometimes all upper
    case. But even in these instances the argument is not
    entirely convincing and there are alternate solutions.

    Will encoding this character genuinely solve more problems
    than it will create?

    - Chris