Re: Uppercase ß is coming? (U+1E9E)

From: Marnen Laibow-Koser (marnen@marnen.org)
Date: Sat May 05 2007 - 09:42:40 CST

    On May 5, 2007, at 7:18 AM, Frank Ellermann wrote:

    > Michael Everson wrote:
    >
    >> I bet the Duden thought "Capital ß" not "Capital special SS
    >> ligature".
    >
    > I bet he didn't like the look of GROSZER and tried to invent something
    > better, typesetters are artists.

    But standard spelling would be GROSSER, not GROSZER. SZ is only used
    in words like MASZE where there's a need for disambiguation.

    > IMO the Strötzner fonts look nicer
    > than the BI Leipzig approximation, but SZlig is still no new
    > character.

    How is it no new character? You've seen it with your own eyes. It's
    not an SS ligature. It's not really a SZ ligature. It's not a
    lowercase ß. What else could it be?

    > Frank

    Best,
    Marnen