[OT] Crayon

From: Doug Ewell (dewell@adelphia.net)
Date: Mon May 07 2007 - 08:48:27 CDT

  • Next message: Richard Wordingham: "Re: Uppercase ß is coming? (U+1E9E)"

    Philippe Verdy <verdy underscore p at wanadoo dot fr> wrote:

    > But using a quill, with internal disposable reservoirs, was still
    > mandatory in many French highs schools for exams and home works up to
    > the early 1980's. Unlike in USA, crayons are not accepted here, except
    > for arts and technical drawings.

    Before any Americans take offense at this, the word "crayon" here is
    probably meant to signify the stick of graphite encased (traditionally)
    in wood, with a sharp point and an eraser on the end, which is called a
    "pencil" in English and is used in US schools through the university
    level. The English word "crayon" is reserved for the blunt-pointed,
    colored, waxy stick used by young children for drawing and coloring,
    which is not accepted for any schoolwork in the US beyond age 12 or so.
    In French, both of these are "crayon."

    Doug Ewell  *  Fullerton, California, USA  *  RFC 4645  *  UTN #14

    This archive was generated by hypermail 2.1.5 : Mon May 07 2007 - 08:51:37 CDT