swastika

From: William J Poser (wjposer@ldc.upenn.edu)
Date: Tue May 08 2007 - 13:11:55 CDT

    >Despite the fact that Unicode is intended to be descriptive and not
    >prescriptive, I think the political ramifications of adding the Nazi
    >swastika to the standard are such that we're probably best off not
    >heading down that road for a long, long, long time.

    Hunh? The swastika is already in Unicode. U+534D is the "left-facing
    swastika", U+5350 the "right-facing swastika". This is entirely
    appropriate. To begin with, swastika has many uses other than as a
    symbol of Nazism. For example, on Japanese and Taiwanese maps it
    is used to mark the position of temples. Moreover, even as a symbol
    of Nazism it is neutral - that is, it can be used to promote Nazism
    or to condemn it.

    Bill