Re: Font Samples

From: Bob Hallissy (Bob_Hallissy@sil.org)
Date: Wed May 09 2007 - 03:17:14 CDT

    Jon Peck wrote on 08/05/2007 22:24:04:

    > If you are
    > creating a font chooser dialog in Java and want to display a sample
    > string, how do you find a reasonable string of characters that do have
    glyphs?

    I don't know about Java, but I do know about TT/OT fonts: Most contain, in
    their OS/2 table, the ulUnicodeRange and ulCodePageRange bit vectors that
    should give you a pretty good hint about what characters you might use to
    display a sample. See http://www.microsoft.com/typography/otspec/os2.htm
    for detail.

    In case it helps: in the Windows API these are referred to as the
    "fontsignature". See the GetTextCharsetInfo function:

    Regards,

    Bob