RE: The glyph of the CAPITAL SHARP S

From: Philippe Verdy (verdy_p@wanadoo.fr)
Date: Thu May 10 2007 - 00:25:15 CDT

    No it's a proven fact; if not convinced, try to guess which Latin text is
    written by hiding the lower part or the upper part of the line.

    The lower part is used as a visual hint for maintaining the baseline
    alignment, the middle part contains no distinct form, but only acts on
    blackness (is it "filled" by an extra stroke or not), and the top part
    carries almost all the information and must contain most distinctions